Did you make a Resolution?
Every 1st of Jan, most of us make a New Year’s Resolution.
Be it eat healthier, go to the Gym more, keep in touch with friends?
Here are this year’s top 6:
- Learn a new skill or hobby (26 percent)
- Quit smoking (21 percent)
- Read more (17 percent)
- Find another job (16 percent)
- Drink less alcohol (15 percent)
- Spend more time with family and friends (13 percent)
Hope you are managing to stick to them.
Traditionally, only 8% succeed in keeping their resolutions whilst a staggering 80% fail altogether.
Why do people fail?
Roughly 55 percent of New Year’s resolutions were health-related, such as exercising more, eating healthier and getting out of financial debt, according to the science journal The Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin.
Unrealistic expectations are a big reason resolutions failed.
How to succeed?
There are a few ways you can set yourself up to succeed
1) Start with small changes and continue to build on these or try to tackle one change at a time,”
2) Try to set yourself SMART goals,
3) Reflect on your progress towards these,
4) Acknowledge that changes can be hard, and
5) Results won’t happen overnight … or even in the first two weeks of the new year.”
6) Find an accountability partner who will hold you accountable. Some one who is not family or friend as these can contribute to letting the goals slip.
7) Write them down. We all have Resolutions in our head, WRITE IT DOWN.
Dr. Marcelo Campos, a lecturer at Harvard Medical School, said writing goals down can help us to achieve them because it feels like more of a commitment.
Where can I get Help?
Go to my home page and subscribe to get copy of my book, Goal Setting for Life. Fill in the worksheets and then contact me to help you achieve your Goals.